What is Pet Allergy
Pets produces multiple allergens or proteins that causes allergies in people, especially kids. Allergens are present in pet hair, saliva, fur and skin. These particles will spread through air or through direct contact and can cause you some health issues.
Symptoms of Pet Allergy
Though the pet allergy do not causes any serious health issues normally, sometimes it can go worse. Especially if the person has a weak immune system.You should address the pet allergy possibilities if you have new born babies or pregnant ladies in home.
- Breathing issues
- Stuffy nose
- Itchy eyes
- Skin rashes
- Facial pressure
- Swollen eyes
- Sleeping disorder
How to Avoid Pet Allergy
By taking some simple steps and precautions you can avoid the risk of pet allergies.
- - Avoid kissing the pets. A lot of people kiss dogs and cats out of their love towards them, but it can cause spread of allergens through saliva.
- Keep pets out of your bed [I know it is difficult]
- Every time when you have a direct touch with the pet or their belongings [clothes, plates etc], wash your hands with hot water and soap. Do not skip this.
- Use HEPA enabled allergy vacuum cleaner in home. This will help you to reduce the allergen particles and pet hair.
- The pet allergy possibility increases if the pets live mostly inside your home. It is better to build a separate space for them which is of course, not inside your home.
- Some people tend to share their food with dogs - especially biscuits etc. It is okay to do so but do not eat the remaining of food that the dog is bitten already. This is because dog saliva has multiple allergen agents.
- Giving your dogs and cat a bath at least once a week can heavily bring down the chance of spreading allergens
- Use gloves when you give bath to your pets
- Clean the pet's coat regularly because the dust and pollen in coat can also cause allergy.
Common facts about pet allergy
- Fish and Reptiles do not cause allergy. The reason is that pet allergy is rarely caused by animals that do not have fur or hair.
- It is very unlikely to happen a death because of pet allergy. However, sometimes it can lead to serious health issues such as asthma.
- Dogs and Cats are the top pets causing allergies. This is because, people tend to allow them stay inside the home, bedroom and everywhere. Also, people kiss, hug and play with them very often than any other pets.
Treatment for Pet Allergy
Usually the pet allergy problems can be managed by taking proper precautions and medications, but if you find that the symptoms are persisting for more than 2 weeks you should consider consulting an allergy specialist.If you are wondering if there is an effective treatment for pet allergy, yes there is.
Checkout this link to know more: http://acaai.org/allergies/treatment/allergy-shots-immunotherapy
Allergist Dr. Dana Wallace on Cat Allergy Relief Tips
Allergist Dr. Warner Carr on Hypoallergenic Pets
While it is too difficult to keep the pets away from you, it is also important to take care of your and your dear ones health. By following the proper precautions you can avoid the risk of pet allergies and can enjoy the time with your pet dogs and cats.
Any suggestions or tips to offer? Please let me know in the comment box below.
Image credits: allergyis.com